[CMake] CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_ID

Zaak Beekman zbeekman at gmail.com
Sat May 25 14:49:48 EDT 2013

It seems hard to find documentation for this variable. Is it set by
enable_language(<LANG>)? Can I call enable_language(<LANG>) BEFORE I call
project()?

Does anyone know a good way to provide default, compiler specific values
for CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS in the cache? It seems that calling set() with the
CACHE option won't do anything if the variable is already set, and that
perhaps CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS and CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_ID are both set by
project() and/or enable_language().

Do I need to define my own variable with a default value after
CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_ID is created (so that the default value is specific
to the compiler) and then concatenate/append CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS with its
value?

Any and all help much appreciated,
Izaak Beekman
(301)244-9367