[CMake] Finding memory leaks on OS X mountain lion (10.8)

Zaak Beekman zbeekman at gmail.com
Sat May 25 14:40:56 EDT 2013

Does anyone have any experience adding tests to check for memory leaks on
Macs? I come from more of a Linux background and am new to CMake and CTest.
I am not using CDash yet, and writing software in C and Fortran.

It seems that Valgrind is still very experimental for Mac, especially for
Mountain lion, and produces unreliable/buggy results complaining about
memory leaks which are allegedly in system libraries, etc. It seems that
there is a 'leaks' tool that can be used to perform dynamic memory
analysis, but you must attach it to the process after it's started. Is
there a way to tell a process to start without actually executing, then
attach leaks to it, and start/resume executing? Is there a better/different
approach?

Thanks,

Izaak Beekman
(301)244-9367