[CMake] How to install Fortran module files?

Zaak Beekman zbeekman at gmail.com
Sun May 12 11:22:22 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM, <cmake-request at cmake.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to install the module (.mod) files that are
> generated by the Fortran compiler.

[SNIP]

> Thanks!
>   Neil

Neil,
I'm curious why you want to install the .mod files. As far as I know, I
don't think you need these at run time, but I could be wrong. (I know this
to be true at least for statically linked binaries.) I do know, however, if
you are providing a library .mod files are NOT compatible across different
compiler vendors, and even different compiler releases from the same
vendor. This, along with compilation cascades, is one of the main
motivations for the sub-module functionality specified in F2008. This way,
library vendors can ship the module sources with the libraries, containing
any type definitions, interface info, other use associations, module
variables etc. but place all of the procedures in submodules and ship those
as (possibly an archive) of compiled submodules/object files. The customer
can then build the .mod file with their compiler, without exposing the
possibly proprietary implementation details of the methods/procedures. This
is my current understanding, anyway.

Izaak Beekman
(301)244-9367
Princeton University Doctoral Candidate