[CMake] CMake for Python 3

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 15:22:23 EDT 2013

2013/3/25 Pietro Moras <studio-pm at hotmail.com>

> I'd love to be reassured that CMake (+CPack) is a “right” tool for:
>
>    Building the distribution package for a complex Python 3 (+PyQt)
> application, mainly aimed at the Windows platform.

If your application is pure python why would you use CMake instead
of pure python tools? Like Python distutils?

Or may be python packages extending it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10712809/how-to-require-and-install-a-package-using-python-3-x-distutils

> My goal is a single
> install file that, out of an original Python 3 application, will generate an
> ordinary “.exe” executable program, possibly verifying in advance if the
> target environment has got all the required pre-requisites, so to possibly
> grant them when missing.

AFAIK CMake and CPack do not deal with that kind of work.
Doesn't look you for something like: http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/

> That's my goal and, of course, I'd love to be positively encouraged to
> undertake such a CMake adventure before even beginning to toil at it, of
> course... Of course it would be sad to discover I've taken the wrong way
> only at the end of it.

If ever you made it to the end then I would have been a success already right?
Just kidding but AFAI Understand your goal does not fits CMake/CPack features.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org