[CMake] 'NMake Makefiles' generate does not support parallel builds (/MP)?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Sep 21 10:31:47 EDT 2012

On 21 September 2012 15:20, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 7:42 PM, Loaden wrote:
>>
>> As I know, qmake support /MP on command line builds after set ENV
>> CL=/MP, and nmake can do parallel builds.
>> Follow the MS docs:
>> cl a.cpp b.cpp c.cpp /MP should works well on command line.
>> Seems CMake does not implements this.
>> So, can I request a feature for this?
>
> I suppose you can put a request in but I don't think we have the cycles to
> do it as it is a difficult problem to solve.

FYI, it would require to employ so called NMAKE batch-mode, which is
not trivial to configure, indeed.
Especially, if input/output paths need to be handled, etc.

Here is my question on using NMAKE batch-mode with tree of directories
I asked  a few years ago on microsoft.public.vc.ide_general [1] and
recently re-asked in SO [2] and MSDN [3].
My question remains unanswered.

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/microsoft.public.vc.ide_general/YFJnuCTlxj4/discussion
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12010215/using-nmake-batch-mode-with-tree-of-directories
[3] http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/4639db99-e9db-46ea-b3f5-bdb9d926410b