[CMake] 'NMake Makefiles' generate does not support parallel builds (/MP)?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Sep 21 10:20:05 EDT 2012

On 9/20/2012 7:42 PM, Loaden wrote:
> As I know, qmake support /MP on command line builds after set ENV
> CL=/MP, and nmake can do parallel builds.
> Follow the MS docs:
> cl a.cpp b.cpp c.cpp /MP should works well on command line.
> Seems CMake does not implements this.
> So, can I request a feature for this?
I suppose you can put a request in but I don't think we have the cycles
to do it as it is a difficult problem to solve.  If you really need it
you could either implement it yourself (warning it will not be trivial),
or you can hire Kitware to implement it.  However, there are several
good options for parallel command line windows builds:

- use jom instead of nmake (it is a drop in replacement)
- use the new ninja generator
- use the Visual studio generator with /MP and then use msbuild or cmake
--build from the command line.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman