[CMake] Using parallel jobs with CMake generated makefile for Fortran program

Neal Kruis neal.kruis at bigladdersoftware.com
Wed Oct 10 17:45:36 EDT 2012

Hey, all,

The CMake generated Makefile is much slower than my handwritten Makefile. A
quick test shows build times for both CMake and handwritten makefiles with
and without the -j flag:

CMake: "make -j all" = 7min
CMake: "make all" = 7min
Handwritten: "make -j all" = 2min
Handwritten: "make all" = 4min

In general, CMake is much slower and doesn't seem to utilize parallel jobs.

Can anyone explain why I'm not seeing any improvements?

For more details see the question I posted on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12807806/parallel-jobs-using-a-cmake-generated-makefile-no-speed-improvement

You can read about it and answer it there or here (I'll make sure the
answer is posted to both locations).

Thanks much!

Neal