[CMake] Creating package

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun May 27 07:50:37 EDT 2012

2012/5/27 Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org>:
> Am Sonntag, 27. Mai 2012 um 10:41:01, schrieb Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
> [ snip ]
>> I understand the will of distro packager to build cmake using "SYSTEM" lib
>> but (I think that) this cannot be tested on all system combination so
>> may be they should do some regression testing when doing that.
>> May be we can suggest that distros packager run a CMake dashboard
>> with their own "configuration" problem with this being that they may
>> apply patches that may triggers red flags which may not be upstream
>> concerns...
>
> I am now in the process of compiling myself. The first compilation was ok. It works
> but has "CMAKE_USE_SYSTEM_LIBARCHIVE:BOOL=OFF"
> Setting to "ON", I get the same behaviour as previously in the ubuntu version.

Which precisely shows that the libarchive from Ubuntu has something weird in it
since the builtin version of libarchive which comes with CMake seems to work.

Note that AFAIK, the libarchive in CMake source is a reduced (but unpatched)
version of libarchive:
/home/erk/workspace/CMake-gitted/Utilities/cmlibarchive/README-CMake.txt

> Since cpack is calling "cmake -E tar ...", so we should change "Source/cmArchiveWrite.cxx" I suppose.

No we can't do that, PAX format has been chosen "on purpose" because
it was the most portable
accross Linux, *BSD and other unices so we certainly don't wan't to
default to gnutar
since many system don't use gnutar as a default.

> But, cpack seems also to use libarchive.

Like I said cpack uses libarchive but cpack DEB uses both libarchive
and builtin BSD tar.

> So the patch looks ok (on ubuntu) for cmake but not for cpack.

Like I said we certainly cannot accept that patch for upstream CMake.
Nonetheless, do mean that with your patched Source/cmArchiveWrite.cxx version
cmake -E tar is working but cpack DEB is not?

If you are going to provide/discuss patch (I'm glad you do) may be we
should switch to cmake-developers
Mailing List (http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake-developers)
since many users may be afraid/annoyed by this kind of discussion.

Another solution is to open a bug report on CMake bug tracker (I think
that at this point you can do that)
and we can discuss the issue and the solution there.

Do not expect more answers from me today, I'll be off network until
probably tomorrow.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org