[CMake] Packaging Best Practices for Linux

Andreas Mohr andi at lisas.de
Sun May 20 13:40:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 07:57:52AM -0400, cmake-request at cmake.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 13:46:49 +0200
> From: Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: [CMake] Packaging Best Practices for Linux
> Can you put this information, how to build a LSB-compatible application using
> cmake, somewhere in the cmake wiki ?
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake
>
> I guess this is a problem many cmake users have (maybe without knowing).

Indeed, without knowing: while I knew about LSB tools of course,
I remained unaware that they actually provide compiler wrappers, too,
to try to provide reliable ABI compatibility.

In the case of my app it still most certainly wouldn't be reliably successful
(i.e. provide a universally runnable binary),
e.g. for the reason that SuSE vs. RHEL wxWidgets packages
- i.e. libraries not covered by core LSB specs AFAIK -
chose to (/not) enable wx2.4 build compat config flag
(and thus end up with incompatible vtable ABI issues).

Andreas Mohr