[CMake] Packaging Best Practices for Linux

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 16 13:50:34 EDT 2012

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2012 schrieb Michael Jackson :

>  We have a small open-source project (http://dream3d.bluequartz.net)
> where we are currently releasing binaries for Windows and OS X but not for
> Linux due to our lack of knowledge on how to properly release them. Our
> project depends on the following projects:
>  Qt 4.7 (I think it will run with 4.6)
>  Qwt 5.x
>  Boost (About any version will work)
>  HDF5 v1.8.x
>
>  I would like to release linux binaries but I am not really sure what
> cmake code I need to make sure CPack includes all the proper libs and
> support libs. I currently build on OpenSuse 12.1 but can fire up about any
> linux distro that people think is "better" suited for this task. Do I
> release rpms? Tar.gz? Any guidance from those in the know would be just
> wonderful and very much appreciated.

If you use the bundleutilities module, it should be fairly simple to get a
tar.gz or so containing the binaries (should, since I haven't done that
myself yet). For distribution-native (deb, rpm, ...) packages the
generators will need to be told about the dependencies, in particular how
the various packages are named in the distribution. Those distro-packages
will then only have your own projects binaries. If the project is
open-source, the distributions mit also be willing to do the packaging and
ship them with their releases. Then you'd merely need to provide source
packages for them.

Andreas