[CMake] Packaging Best Practices for Linux

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed May 16 09:04:30 EDT 2012

  We have a small open-source project (http://dream3d.bluequartz.net) where we are currently releasing binaries for Windows and OS X but not for Linux due to our lack of knowledge on how to properly release them. Our project depends on the following projects:
 Qt 4.7 (I think it will run with 4.6)
 Qwt 5.x
 Boost (About any version will work)
 HDF5 v1.8.x

 I would like to release linux binaries but I am not really sure what cmake code I need to make sure CPack includes all the proper libs and support libs. I currently build on OpenSuse 12.1 but can fire up about any linux distro that people think is "better" suited for this task. Do I release rpms? Tar.gz? Any guidance from those in the know would be just wonderful and very much appreciated.