[CMake] Contribute two new find package implementation.

Mathias Fröhlich M.Froehlich at science-computing.de
Fri Oct 7 10:53:02 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Friday 07 October 2011, Eric Noulard wrote:
> Nice to ear from you on CMake ML.
>
> Module contribution process is described here:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers
Puh, ok.
My problem is that I cannot take maintainership in the sense I understand this
job for any few lines of code I am willing to contribute to the public.
I am contributing in *plenty* of projects with at least bug fixes to small
feature enhancements up to huge parts of a project. And this is from my point
of view just a tiny enhancement I would like to share to those people that
would otherwise just have to duplicate already done work.

I can offer to respond to questions that arise over time.
But Maintainership is something huge ...

> Concerning 1516 and 1516e specific module may be it would be interesting
> to only have one module "FindRTI.cmake" .
Sure this is there and finds the rti13 libs.

> I think we cannot really use the VERSION argument of find_package
> but may be
>
> find_package(RTI COMPONENTS HLA13 IEEE1516)
> would be nice?
Hmm, I have done seperate versions because I was willing to find all three
variants of rti libs. That means if all three are installed I would like to
find all of them and have them all available within the same applications
build system.
Is this possible to implement this within a single find_package call?

> The current module maintainer is Petr Gotthard but it seems
> like the CMake included module has not been updated recently,
> may be he does not have enough time to maintain it any more?
> Petr are you listening to CMake ML?
>
> As a CERTI developer we did have the initial version of FindRTI.cmake from
> Petr inside our tree:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/certi/scripts/FindRTI.cmake?revision=1.1
>2&root=certi&view=markup
>
> I had to update this copy in order to include 1516 lib names.
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/certi/scripts/FindRTI.cmake?revision=1.1
>3&root=certi&view=markup
>
> I shall have proposed an update to CMake included module as well but I
> lack time.
>
> If you are willing to maintain the FindRTI.cmake shipped with CMake
> (if Petr is ok pass on)
> may be you can merge the modifications you've just sent and the
> one I did for CERTI source tree then follow the Module maintainer process
> in order to have a new updated module in the next CMake release.

I am fine with anything that allows me to build an application that uses all
of these libraries at the same time.
... Think of a bridge that translates from one rti version to an other one. Or
may be an object browser that allows to connect to different rti's.

I would also invest some time initially to make this work. But as I sayed,
Maintainership is a huge thing - at least as I understand this.

So, may be as a first step you will import Petr's current version?

> I'll help to review and test the module (at least on Linux).
Well, the linux part is not the problem for me. This already works.
Windows would be good ...
And may be autodetecting some commercial vendors rti's is something I cannot
test.

Greetings

Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Fröhlich, science + computing ag, Software Solutions
Hagellocher Weg 71-75, D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany