[CMake] CMake, Qt4, Ubuntu and Phonon

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Tue Nov 22 17:11:19 EST 2011

On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 02:34:55 pm Félix C. Morency wrote:
> As we pointed out in the bug thread located at
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/phonon/+bug/893170
>
> the FindPhonon script is not portable to Windows. I agree with André's
> comment: the source of the problem is the Ubuntu way of distributing
> Qt4 and Phonon.
>
> We also have to keep in mind that the official CMake module FindQt4
> doesn't actually find Qt4 correctly on Ubuntu. I think this is a
> problem for both Ubuntu and CMake. The two solutions to this problem I
> can think of are 1) Patch the FindQt4 script so it can find Phonon
> correctly when not distributed with Qt4 and 2) Make pressure on the
> Ubuntu community so it distribute Phonon as a Qt4 (optional) package
> (like Debian does).
>
> I would like to have your feedback on this issue so we can discuss
> alternative solutions. Feel free to comment on the bug report to make
> pressure on the Ubuntu community.
>
> I would be happy to patch the FindQt4 module if the community agrees
> on this solution.

Does it work if one is using qmake simply because phonon is in the linker's
standard search paths?
Or does qmake on Ubuntu know how to find phonon?

phonon is treated as a Qt module as far as qmake and FindQt4.cmake are
concerned, and not as a 3rd party library, like zlib and others.

But, I'm not opposed to modifying FindQt4.cmake, but I have a concern if one
builds their own Qt (different version) without phonon, is it OK to find
/usr/lib/libphonon.so?

--
Clinton Stimpson
Elemental Technologies, Inc