[CMake] CMake, Qt4, Ubuntu and Phonon

Félix C. Morency felix.morency at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:34:55 EST 2011

As we pointed out in the bug thread located at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/phonon/+bug/893170

the FindPhonon script is not portable to Windows. I agree with André's
comment: the source of the problem is the Ubuntu way of distributing
Qt4 and Phonon.

We also have to keep in mind that the official CMake module FindQt4
doesn't actually find Qt4 correctly on Ubuntu. I think this is a
problem for both Ubuntu and CMake. The two solutions to this problem I
can think of are 1) Patch the FindQt4 script so it can find Phonon
correctly when not distributed with Qt4 and 2) Make pressure on the
Ubuntu community so it distribute Phonon as a Qt4 (optional) package
(like Debian does).

I would like to have your feedback on this issue so we can discuss
alternative solutions. Feel free to comment on the bug report to make
pressure on the Ubuntu community.

I would be happy to patch the FindQt4 module if the community agrees
on this solution.

Regards,
--
Félix C. Morency, M.Sc.
Plateforme d’analyse et de visualisation d’images