[CMake] VC2010 Express + CMake = fails

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Nov 21 09:59:01 EST 2011

On 11/21/2011 9:23 AM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> I think though that by default, no visual studio installations place the
> install path in PATH in the environment. So if I'm remembering correctly
> and that is true, what other means does it use? Does it use the registry
> at all? If you could kindly describe the search path it uses that would
> be very helpful. The only other way for me to figure this out is to skim
> the source code, which would be very time consuming! Hopefully you can
> save me some time :)

The logic can all be found here:

Modules/CMakeVS10FindMake.cmake

It is a very small file.  Obviously needs a bit of work.  It is finding
devenv.com on your machine when it should not.  We should most likely
check the version of what is found.  For the IDE PATH, LIB and INCLUDE
are not used or required.  PATH will be used if it finds devenv.com.  In
your case that is most likely what is happening.

If you had a machine with only VS 10 express it would have worked fine. :)

It is very hard to test things like this... :)

If you can tweak the CMake code in Modules/CMakeVS10FindMake.cmake and
make it work on your machine, that would be great.

Thanks.

-Bill