[CMake] Generating for cygwin

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 16:26:50 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 3:12 PM, David Cole wrote:
> This dashboard build of CMake is run from a cygwin bash script using
> gmake and the VS 2008 compiler:
>
>    http://cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=1711851
>
> See the script that drives it here:
>
>    http://cdash.org/CDash/viewNotes.php?buildid=1711851
>
> Perhaps there's a clue in there that will be useful/helpful. (There is
> also environment setup on that machine, though, too probably. Like all
> the stuff that vcvars.bat would set in a regular Windows cmd prompt.)

You will also need to use this gmake:

http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe-cygwin1.7

At some point support for paths with drive letters was removed from the
gmake that came with cygwin, so the makefiles do not work  with stuff
like this: c:/path.  The VS compiler needs that to work.  There was a
patch in the upstream gmake and the above make has that patch.  I have
not tried recently to see if cygwin updated make to work again.
However, I use Unix Makefiles with VS and gmake all the time, but I use
the above gmake.

To create the environment I started a vsvars.bat type shell, and dumped
the environment.  I then convert that dump to a bash script.

Something like this:

export INCLUDE='c:\Program Files ...
export LIB='c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft  ...
export LIBPATH='c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework ...
export PATH='/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio ...
export DevEnvDir='c:\Program Files ...
export VSINSTALLDIR='c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0'
export WindowsSdkDir='C:\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\'
export VCINSTALLDIR='c:\Program Files ...
export Framework35Version=v3.5
export FrameworkDir='c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework'
export FrameworkVersion=v2.0.50727

-Bill