[CMake] Generating for cygwin

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 15:03:36 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I generate makefiles for cygwin? Can I run CMake through Windows and
> generate Unix Makefiles, or do I need to run cmake from inside of cygwin
> itself to generate?
> Instructions would be awesome, since I suck at linux and I'm just doing this
> to test my scripts on something other than Visual Studio.
>
> ---------
> Robert Dailey
>
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

If your code is cross-platform and will build on Linux, I'd recommend
running a VM on your Windows box that has Linux in it, and do a
Linux/make/gcc build of your project before doing cygwin stuff. It'll
be faster for one thing, and less frustrating for a second thing.

You can do cygwin, if you must... you should use a cygwin-built CMake
if you must. Perhaps someone else will chime in with detailed
instructions.

HTH,
David