[CMake] find_package(), sources only

Daniel Dekkers d.dekkers at cthrough.nl
Mon Nov 7 06:04:48 EST 2011

Hi,

Just a thought.

We are incorporating 3rd party library Bullet in our own library. This can
be done on two levels (via an option). Either by sources (which is standard
practice with Bullet), or by linking to the built Bullet libraries directly.
Now find_package(BULLET) (i.e. the findBullet.cmake script) sets
BULLET_FOUND to true only if the include directory *and* the libraries are
found. But if we only use the sources, we don't need the libs and we ignore
the BULLET_FOUND "error" if they don't exist but still use the path to the
include directories.

Wouldn't it be good if you could extend find_package() with some kind of
"SOURCE-ONLY" communication or do you think that is the responsibility of
the find<package>.cmake writer?

Thanks,

Daniel Dekkers