[CMake] [cmake-developers] To warn or to error out ? - wording and compatiblity

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 06:58:23 EDT 2011

2011/11/1 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 01 November 2011, Eric Noulard wrote:
[...]
>> So before making the build dir as a source subdir case FATAL, are you sure
>> we really don't want to authorize the generatiion of .project
>> .cproject in the source dir
>> in this very particular but nervertheless very useful case?
>
> I'm quite sure that there are strong objections to this among the other cmake
> developers.

Eh I'm strong too ;-)

No I'm 100% for clean rules about not polluting the build tree with
some generated files.
The thing is, last time (back in 2007) I tried to go as far as I can with this
Eclipse limitation. Digging & asking on CMake ML and CdT ML.

**I** think eclipse people just don't care about this particular use case
so the chance that Eclipse takes into account this case is fairly ... tiny.
I could have proposed patch for Eclipse Team I just don't have enough
knowledge to do it  and not enough time to acquire the knowledge.
Moreover if ever I come up with an appropriate patch, what would be
the chance to make it upstream???

so I did report and wait....

>> I know that we should never generate files in the source dir, but
>> after 3+ years it seems
>> that eclipse is not able (correct me if I'm wrong) to enable source
>> control on "part" of the project.
>
> I'm actually no expert on Eclipse stuff, I basically took over maintainance of
> the generator and I am trying to polish it a bit.

I'm glad you do that, thanks.

> I know this is the biggest issue IMO (although some eclipse users say that the
> svn integration in eclipse is unusable and they use command line for that
> anyways),

I use CVS, SVN and git with Eclipse with not so much trouble, SVN is sometimes
picky but even if I'm not a GUI guy, the patch review is quite
pleasant in Eclipse
using the graphical compare & merge editor.

> and I'd be very happy if this could be solved.

Me too.
I'll dig a little bit on the Eclipse side again, but generating 2
files in the source
does not look like a big deal.

--
Erk