[CMake] Per-configuration include directories?

Kevin Burge kevin.burge at systemware.com
Thu Dec 29 11:48:13 EST 2011

I'm trying to get my large project (built of many sub-projects and
external projects) to build correctly in Visual Studio, allowing the
user to compile release/debug from the UI.  One problem I have: I'm
building an external library, and I've customized ExternalProject to
keep per-configuration builds of the external projects.  The problem I'm
now facing that I don't see a resolution to: I need include_directories
to allow per-configuration includes.  I.e.

include_directories (third_party_INCLUDE_DIR_DEBUG)

or

include_directories (third_party_INCLUDE_DIR_RELEASE)

I tried setting COMPILE_FLAGS with -I... for the target, but cmake seems
to ignore that when generating the Visual Studio 2005 project files.
There doesn't seem to be a way to force the include into the visual
studio project files.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks,
Kevin