[CMake] Error running link command: Bus error

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Aug 26 08:48:55 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Patrick Gampp <hr824 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> From your VERBOSE output, it looks like you're building on
>> "/Volumes/amm-er" -- what happens if you move the source and build
>> trees onto your Mac hard drive and then try? Hopefully that will
>> eliminate the linker crash.
>
> I moved the code to a local directory and it worked. Thanks!
>
>> This is a problem with Apple's linker, not a problem with CMake. (As
>> far as I can tell from the information in this thread...)
>
> I don't know. When I build the same project on the network drive /Volumes/amm-er/ using Xcode 4, there are no problems. I have no other compilers installed and as far as I know, Xcode and the Unix Makefile use the same compiler/linker. Therefore, couldn't that also be a cmake-problem?

I suppose it could be caused by something that CMake generates into
the makefile, but the fact remains: Apple's linker is the thing that
is crashing.

If you have steps to reproduce this, and it happens on other people's
Macs too, and there's something in the Makefile that causes it, and it
can be changed such that the crash doesn't happen ...... then we could
potentially change the makefile generation accordingly.

File a bug report if you have a reliable way to reproduce it even on
another machine. http://public.kitware.com/Bug

Thanks,
David