[CMake] CTest: use 'make -k' instead of 'make -i'

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Mon Oct 25 11:14:49 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 04:54:41PM +0200, Michael Wild wrote:
> On 25. Oct, 2010, at 16:45 , Marcel Loose wrote:
> > Wouldn't it make more sense to use 'make -k' instead?
>
> Some weeks ago I also wanted to propose this, but then realized one
> important drawback of -k: Say, you have target B depending on A. If A
> fails, nothing from B will be compiled, thus hiding programming errors
> that will only show up once A is fixed. What needs to be fixed is the
> error parser in CTest.

Marcel,

I think you can override this compiler flag with use of
CTestCustom.cmake or one of those override mechanisms.

Michael and everyone,

I think that use case is pretty narrow. If I know that B depends on A
and I see that A failed, I'm going to take a pretty suspicious view of
any build errors in B -- what if they were somehow caused by the failure
in A?

Besides, doesn't -k satisfy your use case while removing the confusing
and erroneous report of success caused by using -i?

Thanks,
tyler