[CMake] cmake for cygwin

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) yselkowitz at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 25 06:06:52 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 07:57 +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> No. You have the same kernel under the skin and any software that has low-
> level parts thus needs to know that it is running on Windows, be it through
> the cygwin layer or not. How does it do that without the WIN32 define?

With the CYGWIN define, of course.  In practice, there are *very* few
cases where WIN32 and CYGWIN are in the same boat, and a PE/ELF/MACHO
conditional would cover most of those.

> And for the cases it doesn't? You don't throw away compatibility for "the bulk
> of ...".

We are the distributors of Cygwin.  We make Cygwin as a very capable
*NIX/X11 platform.  We do not want WIN32 defined on Cygwin.  Period.
How would you feel if I started making arbitrary decisions about CMake's
behaviour on *your* platform where I do not use it myself?

Yaakov
Cygwin Ports