[CMake] xcodeproj internal reference lottery

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Mar 3 11:46:11 EST 2010

hauns at mac.com wrote:
> david,
>
> thanks for your prompt response. you presented an implementation
> issue
as a reason for this behavior - i can understand.
> however, do you appreciate the issue of user data getting over
> written
each time? in my opinion this represents a serious limitation of cmake
on the mac when trying to use it for a large, collaborative project
where continuous and frequent updates are required.

> you ask me for an alternative: the mac file system is pretty good at
keeping track of files independent of file names/paths. couldn't unique
file handles/hash ids be obtained from just there? these can be used
instead and presumably provide some stability compared to dynamic
pointers in memory (the latter change all the time).

> regards

Those id's are all over the place in projects.  But, sounds like the
only ones that need to persist are the ones that represent files.  I
suppose you could load in the existing project if there is one, and
populate a map of object id's for the files.  You would have to write a
parser for the crazy Xcode file format.  That would be the cleanest way
to do it, as the information is already on the disk.   As Dave
mentioned, we don't have any funding for this right now, but you can
clone CMake, and give it a try.  I can provide assistance if you want to
attempt this.

Thanks.

-Bill