[CMake] VS2010 support

Ross, Thomas thomas_ross at web.de
Sat May 30 21:31:14 EDT 2009

> Tyler Roscoe wrote:
> > On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:32:20PM +0200, bielow wrote:
> >> Currently it seems that only NMake works since any previous VS
generator
> >> version will trigger the conversion wizard and then in turn cmake
again...

> > There is a CMake variable which can disable the rule that makes CMake
> > rerun when things get out of date. Unfortunately, I can't remember what
> > it's called or find it in the docs. You might be able to use this to get
> > vs2010 working until official support lands in CMake.
> >

> We have a copy at Kitware, and it is going to be some time.
> Unfortunately, MS has completely changed the file format for the
> projects.   Also, the auto conversion does not seem to be working very
> well, as -D flags are not converted correctly from what I was able to see.
>
> -Bill

It's not only the file format that has changed, it's the complete build
process for C/C++ that got switched from VCBuild to MSBuild. The convert
wizard seems to have some trouble with escaped characters like '\&quot'
which is used for enclosing the value of CMAKE_INTDIR for example. Removing
all '\&quot' in all auto converted .vcxproj files I was able to compile my
solution.

Unfortunatly that's still not all. I can't link just yet. Got a boatload if
unresolved externals for basic_string and stuff. I tried with another small
project and got the same errors, creating a new solution from scratch works
fine.

--Thomas