[CMake] Question about -E cmake_progress_start ...

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Thu May 28 15:28:22 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:18:38PM -0700, Xiangyun Kong wrote:
> In fact, there are quite a few commands not documented,
> for the -E cmake_progress_start, based on the implementation,
> the syntax format is,
>
>    -E cmake_progress_start [<dir>] [### or <a file contains ###>]
>
> and cmake requires the command line must have exact 4 arguments, and
> cmake will create a file
>
>         <dir>/Progress/count.txt
>
> and write the ### to the file.
>

> And the file will be used by another undocumented command,
>
>        -E cmake_progress_report [<dir>]

Nice detective work! Thanks for sharing it.

Alex or one of the other doc-oriented people: is it worth opening a bug
about these undocumented features? Can we add this snipper Xiangyun has
written to the wiki or somewhere else? Or is it the case that these
undocumented commands are so super secret that you don't want any
documentation about them to be part of the product?

Thanks,
tyler