[CMake] Abuse of find_package COMPONENTS, or not?

Marcel Loose loose at astron.nl
Wed May 20 10:10:06 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am busy writing a FindFFTW macro. Depending on whether you want to use
single or double precision you should include a different header file
and link to a different library. The same is true when using
parallelization like mpi or threads.

Now I was considering to pass these options as COMPONENTS, since, AFAIK,
that's the only way to pass parameters to a FindXXX macro.
So, for example, the user of FindFFTW would do something like:

  find_package(FFTW COMPONENTS single threads)

Do you guys consider this a good or a bad idea? If you think it's a bad
idea, do you have a suggestion how to do things differently?

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.