[CMake] CMake Error: Cannot determine link language for target "io".

Mats Kindahl mats at sun.com
Tue May 19 09:01:23 EDT 2009

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for the reply.

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Zitat von Mats Kindahl <mats at Sun.COM>:
>> I have an example case where I want to decide the subsystems to include
>> dynamically. However, when running CMake, I get the error above.
>>
>> Anybody can tell me why I get the error and what to do about it?
>
> You could give your files a file ending like 'output.c' instead of just
> 'output'. Or, if that is the normal file naming, set the LANGUAGE file
> property and the LINKER_LANGUAGE target property.

OK. Adding suffixes to the files did help, but IIRC, the manual said that CMake
figures this out itself.

> You have an additional problem: you use target 'io' before it is
> defined. If the io library is not installed, yet, this will fail.

Actually, in the first version (looking a little different, but having the same
dependency) made CMake resolve the dependency itself.

Ideally, I would like to copy or build the libraries in a central "lib/"
directory similar to how I copy all the include files to the "include/"
directory, but how is that supported by CMake?

So, basically, each package can depend on a number of include files and
libraries that have not yet been built, so somehow I need to specify rules for
how to build it all in a good order.

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl

--