[CMake] automatically re-generating makefiles

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 18:55:59 EDT 2009

Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2009/2/26 Alex Flint <alex.flint at gmail.com>:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've noticed that when I run "make blah" then the makefile is
>> automatically re-generated if I've changed anything in CMakeLists.txt
>> since the last time I built "blah". However, if I add a new target to
>> CMakeLists.txt then I have to run cmake manually or else I just get
>> "to rule to make foo".
>
> I think this already works if you call
> "make"
> and not
> "make foo"
>
> Because "existing target" do depends on "cmake_check_build_system"
> which should check for CMakeLists.txt changes (not verified just a guess).

Actually, it's supposed to be possible to make the makefile itself
dependent on something. I think if this isn't working, either a: cmake
isn't writing optimal dependencies for the makefiles themselves, or b:
'make' could be doing better.

--
Matthew
"I don't question your existence -- God" (seen on a church billboard)