[CMake] warning "safe linker search path"

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 10 08:56:44 EDT 2009

John Biddiscombe wrote:
> Brad
>> BTW, the only reason CMake needs to order the directories is because
>> of compatibility with how CMake 2.4 ordered them.  You must be setting
>> CMP0003 to OLD.  If you set it to NEW you should never see this warning.
>
> That seems to have solved the problem.

On second thought, I think there can still be cases where the warning will
appear with CMP0003 set to NEW, but not this one.

> (I have CMake policy statements littered through my files, but I have no
> idea what they do or why they are there. I think at some point CMake
> tells you, use CMAKE_POLICY(blah) to make this warning go away, so you
> add it blindly, then it gradually becomes obsolete)

The messages also point you at documentation which explains what is going on.
Only the CMP0003 warning tells you what code to put in, and I only did that
because so many people complained about the warning text.  Any project that
does "cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)" will never see CMP0003 again
(assuming there are no places the command is invoked with 2.4).

-Brad