[CMake] SDL troubles on Mac OS X

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 01:48:36 EST 2009

On 15. Dec, 2009, at 23:46 , Glenn Hughes wrote:

>> I think the SDL developers are just being a bit "too" slick. They are setting up SDL for Xcode development where typically you would link to the SDL and then have a "Copy Files Phase" where you copy the framework into the Application Bundle that resides in the build directory.
>
> Its a cultural difference also. Mac developers think of creating the
> complete application as part of the build process. A Mac app generally
> contains everything it needs so you can just drag it to another
> machine and run it. I would never want a half-baked app that is wired
> into my machine. Copying the libraries into the app isn't part of
> "installation", its part of "building"... Copying the app somewhere
> else is "installation" i.e. a no-op as far as my build process is
> concerned.

In the case of OS X bundles, don't think of it like "installation". It's more like "finishing up".

How about adding some logic to target_link_libraries that writes a file, similar to depend.internal, mapping the install-name of the linked libraries to their location (if a full path has been used for linking). This file could then be used by BundleUtilities.cmake. Probably one would need to black-list certain directories (such as /System/Library/Frameworks), or is this already done?

Michael