[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Thu Dec 3 15:03:56 EST 2009

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> See my other mail, there's no way for cmake to find out which symlinks
> are dead links, except by scanning all source files on a cmake run.
> Thats a huge waste of time, especially on bigger projects with a few
> thousand files scattered over a few hundered directories.

I don't think this is the best approach. I would only check the symlinks
generated by modified CMakeLists.txt's. If the user adds,renames or
deletes a source file, he would be required to change CMakeLists.txt to
reflect his actions. This would trigger a symlink update when cmake
processes it during build tree update. This update would be local, not
involving the whole tree. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that is.

[]s,
rod