[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Dec 3 14:49:38 EST 2009

On 03.12.09 16:54:08, Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
> > And, they can still have that, but I once they get used to it, I bet
> > they will like it...
>
> Sorry Bill, I think I didn't understand, you mean that they will like to
> have source code in a different directory than Makefile's?
>
> > Another option might
> > be a tool on top of CMake.  I think there is something that will create
> > sym-link trees.  Then you can just do an in-source build in the sym-link
> > tree version.
>
> That's what I've meant in the first place (but it's better stated now).
> But I object the idea of it being a tool on top of CMake. This sym-link
> trees could be created and maintained by CMake itself when the user
> updates the CMakeLists.txt. Maybe a command line parameter could trigger
> this machinery.

See my other mail, there's no way for cmake to find out which symlinks
are dead links, except by scanning all source files on a cmake run.
Thats a huge waste of time, especially on bigger projects with a few
thousand files scattered over a few hundered directories.

Andreas

--
Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.