[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Thu Dec 3 13:45:44 EST 2009

Michael Jackson wrote:
> I guess those of us that use IDEs like Visual Studio, Eclipse, NetBeans,
> Xcode, CobeBlocks, QtCreator may not see the issue you are trying to
> solve.

That's precisely it, I'm use an old-school setup, Vi + make, and my idea
would certainly be helpful in this case.

>   Source Code Control: You don't have build products interspersed in the
> source code which then causes you to put all sorts of "ignore" rules for
> your SCM system

>   Is the build "really clean" - Wanna make sure your project is
> completely cleaned of build products, just wipeout the build directory.
> Too many times on an "autoconf" system there are left over files that
> get missed and end up screwing up subsequent builds.
>   Backups - If you stick to a consistent naming scheme telling your
> favorite backup program to ignore the build directory is simple.

I understand that these are the main benefits of out-of-source builds in
general, not only the case where build directories are embedded in
source directories. I'm not against it, quite the contrary. I just want
to make out-of-source builds "feel" like "inside-source" builds.

[]s,
rod