[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Dec 3 12:41:59 EST 2009

Rodolfo Lima wrote:
> Hi people, I was thinking if it would be nice if cmake created symlinks
> on supported platforms of source files into CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR
> when it differs from CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR. My only complaint against
> out-of-source builds is that the sources aren't around when I do make.
> This feature would help a lot.
>
> Since I've got some time to spare, if this shows to be useful to more
> people I could try to implement it and forward the patch upstream.

I am not sure I like this idea...  :)

Tools like emacs and other build tools can be taught how to deal with
the sources not being right there.   The symlinks will likely be a pain
to maintain.   What happens when a file is removed in the source tree?
Who updates the symlinks?  I guess every time CMake is run it could
remove them all, and recreate them.  Or it could just collect dead
links...  It sounds kind of complicated.

-Bill