[CMake] Using Checksum to generate files

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:43:29 EDT 2009

2009/8/12 avner cohen <avcoh at yahoo.com>:
> Eric,
> I may have used wrong terminolegy there, my IDLs are indeed part of the the project, It's only that the project is a C++ based project, so the IDLs are not being "compiled" in any way, they are used to generated a set of .h and .cpp files (which in term, are patr of the project.
> As soon as I generate these files, all compilers (xlC, cc and gcc) will execute a full build, even if the files are identical to the previously generated files.

OK, this somehow a classical "generated source" topic.
Thus forget my first mails and look at what  Michael and Tyler gave you.

> So my main aim is to find a way to:
> 1. Always check if IDL changed.
> 2. Generated ouput .cpp and .h files only IDL are changed.

As far as I understand the CMake compile_idl function provided by Michael
does achieve that.

and the link
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#How_can_I_generate_a_source_file_during_the_build.3F
provided by Tyler gives the big picture on "generated source file".

--
Erk
http://www.april.org