[CMake] Creating multiple (deb) packages from one source tree using CPack

Timenkov Yuri ytimenkov at parallels.com
Fri Jun 27 10:43:22 EDT 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008 18:14:05 Jorrit Schaap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have quite a large source tree with many libraries and many
> executables. We use CMake to build everything which works great.
>
> To deploy the executables we create deb packages by hand, gathering some
> executables and libs for one package, and gathering some other
> executables and libs for another package, etc etc. This is vary
> laborious and error prone.
>
> I tried to use CMake/CPack to create the packages, but as I understand
> it now, it looks like CPack can only be configured to create one package
> from one source tree, and not multiple packages. Is this correct? If
> not, can someone please tell me how to create multiple packages?
You can use CPack to make multiple packages. One of solutions: Make each deb
package separate component (that is specify COMPONENT <comp> in all install
commands). Next, look into your CPackConfig.cmake file (you may copy it into
something like MyComponent1.cpack - just matter of taste into you) and replace
in CPACK_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS third option from ALL to your component
<comp>.
After that you can create your package with command:
cpack -C (Debug|Release) --config MyComponent1.cpack

You can create as many CPack configurations as you like.

Also, you can look at the bugs: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6835
and http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6847
The latter one implements similar request for NSIS installer.