[CMake] newbie CMakeLists.txt help: How to import variables from other projects

Elvis Chen chene77 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:50:28 EDT 2008

hi all,

I'm beginning to migrate all my codes to use cmake and I seek your help.  I apologize in advance if this is a trivial question.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with cmake 2.4.  I'm trying to compile a project called vtkCuda that integrates NVidia's CUDA volume rendering techniques into vtk.  The file repository is located at http://www.na-mic.org/svn/Slicer3/branches/cuda/Modules/VolumeRenderingCuda.  The current CMakeLists.txt works under Windows but appears to be quite buggy under linux.  It also has a lot of un-needed dependencies (on slicer3d); for my personal interests, I just want to get it to work with vtk.  The only true dependency is CudaSupport, located at http://www.na-mic.org/svn/Slicer3/branches/igt_cuda_merge/Libs/CudaSupport/.

CudaSupport itself requires NVidia's CUDA library and SDK and I have managed to compile it without any major issues.  The CMakeLists.txt for CudaSupport defined a few variables (mostly boolean) that are needed by vtkCuda's CMakeLists.txt.  One of such variable is CUDA_SUPPORT_ENABLED; after the successful compilation of CudaSupport, during the ccmake stage of vtkCuda it complains about CUDA_SUPPORT_ENABLED is not defined.

My eventual goal is to rewite the CMakeLists.txt for vtkCuda so that is only depends on the successfufl compilation of CudaSupport (and not Slicer3D).  My questions are:

how do I make ccmake to determine the variables set by CudaSupport, and to find CudaSupport's headers/libraries, in the CMakeLists.txt for vtkCuda?  Or, how to I "export" the variables set by the successful compilation of Cudasupport?

ps. I'm not the developer for vtkCuda/CudaSupport, merely a user trying to use it for my own projects.

Thank you,