[CMake] Add VisualDSP4 project file generator

Raphael Cotty raphael.cotty at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:31:32 EDT 2007

Hi Alexander,

On Thursday 14 June 2007 05:49, Raphael Cotty wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I started to add a new generator for VisualDSP++ project files.
> > VisualDSP++ is a IDE for embedded processors (Blackfin, SHARC and
> > TigerSHARC).
>
> Cool :-)
> It would be nice if we get this working, but this will be quite some work.
>
> I just had a quick look at your sources, I guess as it is now it is
> already
> usable for you.

Not yet. I still have to add some information in the project files. For
example I need to had a paragraphe for the assembler, linker and loader.

For a full cmake generator you also need to support ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND() and
> ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET(), i.e. running user defined commands when required and
> getting the dependencies right.

The IDE allows to add pre-build and post build command for a project which
can be generated by ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(). But there is not parameters,
dependencies...
The IDE only allow to generate standard applications or libraries. So I
don't think that ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET() can be implemented.

On the other hand it would be nice to support the AD toolchain natively in
> CMake, i.e. that you can select the AD compiler as your compiler and have
> CMake generate Makefiles for it.

That's in the pipeline as well. The generation of the project files in
interesting for me only to use the debugger. I want to build the software
without the IDE using cmake generated makefiles.

There shouldn't be too much work required to get this working, but you will
> need CMake from cvs HEAD.

I am already using the HEAD.

I guess you don't have an OS on your targets ?

Not realy, it's a real time monitor (VDK)

We will need to create a Generic-<name_of_ad_compiler>.cmake file, which
> defines the rules for this compiler.
> See http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling , you probably only
> need
> the parts about setting up the toolchain and the toolchain file.
>
> How can these compilers be detected ?
> I just had a quick look at the documentation for the cc21k and it seems
> __EDG__, __EDG_VERSION__, __ECC__ and __ADSP21000__ would be good
> candidates.
> What about the versions of this compiler for other architectures ?
>
> The command line syntax also seems to be not too different from gcc, so it
> should be not too hard.

The IDE can generate makefiles for gnu make. I'll use that to compare.

Bye
> Alex

Thanks
Raph