[CMake] universal binary problems on mac

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Feb 6 15:48:21 EST 2007

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 2007-02-06 13:00, Bill Hoffman said:
>

>> I have no idea, someone else did it, I think they just clicked on get
>> software updates.
>>

> Ah, it was probably François actually, he mentioned doing a swupdate on
> the vtk-dev list.  So in a way it's my fault because he did the update
> to try and fix this: <http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/midworld.kitware/
> DarwinG5-c++-carbon/
> 20070201-0300-Nightly/Results/__Rendering_Testing_Cxx_TestOpacity.html>
> which lead me to file 4402 btw.

So, it is your fault......   :-)

>> That was my next step.  But I figured there might be some folks out
>> there in the same situation.
>> My guess is that will fix it, but it seems that apple sent a partial
>> update...
>>

> Possibly.  If you suspect the update is half baked, you could download
> the "combo updater" and reupdate the thing.  But I suspect just updating
> Xcode will fix it.  Also, you might want to run the uninstall Xcode
> script first, so that the reinstall starts fresh.  Do "sudo /Developer/
> Tools/uninstall-devtools.pl".

OK, I updated Xcode and it is now not using lipo directly anymore....
It is using libtool to combine the i386 and ppc .a files into the FAT .a
file.  And, this seems to work.  So, Mac users watch out.  If you do a
software update for OSX, but do not update Xcode, things may not work...

-Bill