[CMake] Running cmake to create binaries on a VFAT partition (LINUX)

Clemens Arth clemens.arth at gmx.at
Sat Aug 18 03:54:07 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,

for convenience I've located my Cmake projects on a vfat partition of my
hard disk, so I can access it from Linux and Windows without problems.
When I'm running on Linux, and I'm trying to call cmake on the vfat
partition, so that the binaries should also be created on that
partition, I encounter some problems. When I'm running as user, I get
errors like

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may
be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P

When I'm running as super-user, I do not get any errors and it works
fine! The strange thing is that this problems only exist when I'm trying
to create binaries on the vfat partition. If I'm trying to create them
on, let's say, /tmp, everything works fine, being user or super-user.
This means that my cmake installation is ok - and now I am thinking
about writing permission problems on the partition being user. Well,
I've got read and write access to the partition as user and I can do
whatever I want with files and directories. Nevertheless I have to be
root to be able to run cmake.

Any ideas? I'm running UBUNTU 7.04 and the actual cmake 2.4.6; I've
mounted the partition with

/media/data     vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46          0       1

Best Regards,
Clemens