[CMake] Eclipse CDT4 CMake Generator - Pre-Alpha version

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Aug 2 08:26:28 EDT 2007

On Thursday 02 August 2007 05:34, Eric Noulard wrote:
> Eclipse assume the top-level project folder MUST be under version control
> which is not the case with the current approach of the Eclipse CDT
> Generator which put .project and .cproject in the Build tree
> (this is indeed a good idea for generated files :))
>
> I see 3 ways to go:
>
> 1) Stick to eclipse constraint and generate .project and .cproject
>     in the source tree and put the Build_tree as a LinkedRessource
>     this is more or less the converse of what the Generator currently does.
>
> 1bis) If one wants to use CMake Eclipse CDT generator and
>         Eclipse Code Management to work he MUST do in-source built
>        i.e. CMAKE_BINARY_DIR==CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR
>        In this case the CDT Generator should be modified
>        in order to detect if it has been called in- or out-of source
>        since for a in-source built the currently generated .project
>        does not work because it generates a "self-reference"
>        due to the LinkRessources to itself.
>
> 2) Ask Eclipse Team to consider authoring "partial" sharing of project
> tree.
>
> 3) Accept that CMake generated Eclipse project won't offer Team Menu
>     feature.
>
> My preference goes for 2) and
> I've just sent an e-mail asking for this,
>    I will keep you informed of the result or you may monitor the list
> archive:
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/maillist.html see
> "Partially shared project?" thread.
> but... we would have more immediate functional result with 1bis)
> Moreover I think in-source built should be supported by the CDT Generator
> in order to be consistent with other generator.

Yes, in-source builds should work and having Eclipse support that only part of
the project tree are under versions control would be the best thing.
But maybe the problem is that if some part is under e.g. cvs, then other parts
could be under other version control systems, which might be a problem for
Eclipse.
Maybe being able to specifiy the source root or the version control root dir
would help.
This should actually be not so hard, an additional entry in some project file
and using this if it is present instead of the project dir.
Somebody feels like looking into the Eclipse/CDT sources ?

Alex