[CMake] Eclipse CDT4 CMake Generator - Pre-Alpha version

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 05:34:19 EDT 2007

2007/8/1, Andy Dingfelder <DingfelderA at sirtrack.com>:
> one small point I would add...
>
> Instead of spending time getting cvs to integrate, I suspect more
> eclipse folks prefer Subversion, which works very well in eclipse.

I'd rather use Subversion or even git too :))
The fact is my test case is on a project hosted by Savannah:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tsp
and Savannah does not currently offers Subversion support :((
I think CVS repositories are there for some years
so CVS support seems important to me.
Just as SVN or GIT does :))

Nevertheless as far as I did understand the message I receive
from platform-cvs-dev at eclipse.org
(see http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00454.html)
=================
Eric,

The Eclipse Team architecture requires that projects be shared from
the project root. The only workaround I can suggest is to improt the
lined folder as a top level project as well. You should then be able
to perform CVS operations on the top level project.

Michael
==================

The limitation does not seem to come from CVS plugin
but to "Eclipse Team architecture" itself
which is the unifying framework for code management
system be it SVN, CVS, GIT or whatever.

I've just made a test with a SVN repository and I do have the same trouble:
the Build_tree/ containing .project and .cproject is not under version control
and Build_tree/RefToSourceTree is but does not appear as such in Eclipse :((

Eclipse assume the top-level project folder MUST be under version control
which is not the case with the current approach of the Eclipse CDT Generator
which put .project and .cproject in the Build tree
(this is indeed a good idea for generated files :))

I see 3 ways to go:

1) Stick to eclipse constraint and generate .project and .cproject
    in the source tree and put the Build_tree as a LinkedRessource
    this is more or less the converse of what the Generator currently does.

1bis) If one wants to use CMake Eclipse CDT generator and
        Eclipse Code Management to work he MUST do in-source built
       i.e. CMAKE_BINARY_DIR==CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR
       In this case the CDT Generator should be modified
       in order to detect if it has been called in- or out-of source
       since for a in-source built the currently generated .project
       does not work because it generates a "self-reference"
       due to the LinkRessources to itself.

2) Ask Eclipse Team to consider authoring "partial" sharing of project tree.

3) Accept that CMake generated Eclipse project won't offer Team Menu
    feature.

My preference goes for 2) and
I've just sent an e-mail asking for this,
   I will keep you informed of the result or you may monitor the list archive:
   http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/maillist.html
   see "Partially shared project?" thread.
but... we would have more immediate functional result with 1bis)
Moreover I think in-source built should be supported by the CDT Generator
in order to be consistent with other generator.

Your ideas/opinion guys?

--
Erk