[CMake] Multiple generators on the same library

Filipe Sousa natros at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:08:22 EDT 2007

Trevor Kellaway wrote:
> Filipe,
>

> As a recent newbie I had a really hard time understanding how to do an
> out of source build, there were loads of references telling I should be
> doing this, but no "how to" anywhere I could easily find. It is one of
> those approaches that is blindingly obvious once you've seen it, an
> example is worth a 1000 words (to misquote).
>
> I'd suggest that the FAQ includes an example, it would make life much
> easier for newbies.

You are absolutely right

> CMake is a great program, once you get to grips with it, more examples
> for the documentation would make that much easier.

however
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/RunningCMake.html

"""
Two examples of CMake usage on the Unix platform follow for a hello
world project called Hello. In the first example, and in-place build is
performed, i.e., the binaries are placed in the same directory as the
source code.

  cd Hello
  ccmake .
  make

In the second example, an out-of-place build is performed, i.e., the
source code, libraries, and executables are produced in a directory
separate from the source code directory(ies).

  mkdir Hello-Linux
  cd Hello-Linux
  ccmake ../Hello
make