[CMake] CMake 2.4.3, VTK 5.0.2, VS 2005 Express

James Bigler bigler at cs.utah.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:42:41 EST 2006

I'm trying to build VTK 5.0.2 with Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.
I need to build libraries in order to make some plugins for another
application.  I'm also using CMake 2.4.3 on WinXP.

I've been able to build other things with VS 2005 IDE.  In fact, I can
build another open source package teem (http://teem.sourceforge.net)
with CMake using VS 2005 IDE and nmake (which needed a hack to include
Windows SDK includes).

I tried following these instructions with no success.

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Generator_Specific_Information#How_to_generate_NMake_Makefiles_using_Visual_C.2B.2B_Express_Edition_.28free_Visual_Studio_8.29

If I use the Visual Studio 8 generator the configure fails when checking
the endianness of the machine.  This may be because of the msvcr80.dll
and manifest issue.  I haven't been able to find much information on the
mailing lists about this.

The nmake generator completes, but complains about manifests.  If I
restart the build it seems to get further.

[  1%] Building CXX object
Utilities/kwsys/CMakeFiles/vtksys.dir/CommandLineArgu
ments.obj
CommandLineArguments.cxx
Linking CXX shared library ..\..\bin\vtksys.dll
    Creating library ..\..\bin\vtksys.lib and object ..\..\bin\vtksys.exp

..\..\bin\vtksys.dll.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load
and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\mt.EXE"' : return code '0x1f'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Perhaps there is a wrong dependency chain?  It did seem to build after I
restarted nmake 30 times or so.

Thanks,
James