[CMake] Passing requirements to users

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed May 24 18:26:12 EDT 2006

James Mansion wrote:
>>I.e. there are modules for each library, and these modules
>>(should) define a standard set of variables whioch give you
>>the required information.
>
> Thanks - but its not what I wanted to hear. :-(
>
> It does load a lot of identical donkey-work onto every dependent
> project.  In my case, also, its not so much modules like this
> as libraries built within my own tree - it seems messy to define
> the include paths in the root spec file as I do now.  Can't help
> feeling that bjam is much better at this.

CMake propagates linker directories and libraries automatically, but not
include directories.  The reason is that right now link libraries are
per-target but include directories are per-directory.

We do have future plans to add this support but it will be more long
term.  There will probably be a way to set the *interface* include file
search path separately from the *implementation* search path.  Then when
a library is linked its interface include file search path can be
included during compilation of source files using the library.

-Brad