[CMake] Extensions to cmake..

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Sep 19 04:15:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

> Von: Shishir Ramam <sramam at gmail.com>
>
> Hi,
> I am converting a project from make to cmake, and feeling some pain.
> Basically, the Makefiles make extensive use of grep/sed and other such
> utils to generate input files.
>
> While cmake provides some support for file processing - it's limited to
> finding/copying/deleting.

I think you can do a lot with cmake, did you check out STRING(REGEX
MATCH/REPLACE ...) ? As a difference to other regexp-capable scripting
languages, in cmake you can also match for "\n", which I found quite
useful when I discovered it.
While they could be more comfortable and more powerful, I'd say you
should be able to do everything you want with it. Maybe you should write
some supporting macros.

> I was wondering how difficult it'd be to add extensions to allow
> generic scripting capabilities - binding to say tcl/perl/python or
> somesuch?
>
> Thinking about this, it also made me wonder as to why a special
language
> was invented for Cmake in the first place? It could probably have been
> built
> as an extension to a scripting language. Would be interesting to know
> that bit of history...

I guess it isn't an extension to a scripting language, because
-then it would depend on this scripting language being installed
-this way it can have its own very specialized commands and syntax
-it is under full control by the cmake developers

Bye
Alex