[CMake] Extensions to cmake..

Shishir Ramam sramam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:40:58 EDT 2005

Hi,
I am converting a project from make to cmake, and feeling some pain.
Basically, the Makefiles make extensive use of grep/sed and other such
utils to generate input files.

While cmake provides some support for file processing - it's limited to
finding/copying/deleting.

I was wondering how difficult it'd be to add extensions to allow
generic scripting capabilities - binding to say tcl/perl/python or somesuch?

Thinking about this, it also made me wonder as to why a special language
was invented for Cmake in the first place? It could probably have been built

as an extension to a scripting language. Would be interesting to know that
bit
of history...

Tcl seems to have some effort expended in this direction -
http://wiki.tcl.tk/12592 , though nothing close to what cmake provides
in terms of cross platform capabilities.

-shishir

it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.
- Seneca