[CMake] Timestamps...

Lars Pechan lars.pechan at parkerpechan.com
Thu Oct 28 02:12:27 EDT 2004

Hi there,
I have little timestamp problem that I can't get my head around. This
is what happens:

1) I have an out-of-source build directory called "buildroot".
2) Buildroot is quite a big tree (which shouldn't make any difference).
3) In order to build a particular library in buildroot I need to copy
in an rc-file ("app.rc") to two locations: buildroot/X/app.rc and
buildroot/Y/app.rc.. (Legacy reasons -- don't ask...)
4) I first copy it to buildroot/X/app.rc
5) It then gets copied into buildroot/Y/app.rc.
6) (The copying is done via custom commands where buildroot/Y/app.rc
depends on buildroot/X/app.rc).
7) This all works fine but this rule is nearly always firing!!
8) Looking at the timestamps I see that the buildroot/Y/app.rc is older
than buildroot/X/app.rc!! Ie the copy is older than its original?? The
difference is about one second. This happens most of the time but not
always? Sometimes the source is older as it should be.
9) (The copying is driven by a request for buildroot/Y/app.rc but in
order for that to happen the file has to be copied over to
buildroot/X/app.rc first)

My question:  Either I have completely lost my marbles or there is some
dodgy race condition here?

Any ideas?

/Lars