[Cmake] make install behavoir

Andy Preston andy at prestonmedina.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:37:24 -0700

I'm currently using cmake 1.8.3 under Linux. The command "make install"
has a couple of behavoirs that I think would make it more consistant
with "normal" Linux bahavoir. Currently I only use it to install header
files to another directory.

#1 The date time stamp is not preserved. Either there should be a
date/time/(size?) check done for each file and only copy  if the source
file is newer than the old. Alternatively the file can still be copied
provided the date/time stamp is preserved from the source file. I have
unnecessary rebuilds happening since unchanged header files are getting
overwritten and their data/time stamp is changed.

#2 "make install" normally runs "make all" first under Linux. I don't
mind this behavoir but it's inconsistant to the expectations of most
people I'm guessing.

thanks, HTH,

Andy